The Rural Oklahoma Museum of Poetry, founded in 2012, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charity organization that works to ensure that people can have an enlightening, educational and often life-changing experience of poetry.
ROMP does this in a variety of ways:
- ROMPfest & Wonder City Wordfest: An annual festival of poetry that celebrates the form in our lives and invites people from all walks of life to experience the joys of poetry
- Poetry Contests: ROMP conducts an annual Oklahoma Poem Contest with cash prizes and other contests for specific events, such as the 2016 Pryor Creek Comic-Con where ROMP conducted a Hero Poem Contest.
- Chalk Art Contest: ROMP annual sponsors a chalk art contest at Locust Grove’s Founder’s Day Celebration with medals awarded as prizes
- Workshops & Appearances: ROMP director Shaun Perkins appears free of charge or for reduced fees to spread the word of poetry at conferences, workshops and festivals throughout the state and region.
- Museum: The museum is an interactive place for people of all ages. People can engage in the experience of poetry inside the museum with the exhibit and also outside with the Poems in the Pasture labyrinth.
- Poet’s Retreat: ROMP runs a Poet’s Retreat in a small house next to the museum. The retreat is available for nightly rental at an economical price for writers and others wanting to relax and explore their creativity.
- ROMP Rummage Store: The rummage store in downtown Locust Grove opened in February 2016 and survives on donations. It helps fund the museum while also serving as a low-cost place for local people to get clothes, dishes, bedding and more.
The museum particularly needs funding for the following needs:
- Rent, insurance, property tax, and utility bills at both the museum and the rummage store
- Prize monies for poem and chalk art contests that ROMP sponsors
- Advertising: The museum is 5 years-old and is still working to ensure that people know it exists
- Director Travel Expenses: ROMP Director Shaun Perkins travels the state and region to promote ROMP at conferences, festivals and more.
Donate to ROMP
Donations can be sent to ROMP at 6603 S 438 Rd., Locust Grove OK 74352. A tax receipt will be sent in return. You can also donate with a credit card or Pay Pal by using the button below:
Thank you for doing what you do, spreading the love of poetry and creating this retreat. I’m inspired by your story about creating the museum to pass down through generations, and even after 3 hours there, I felt like there was still so much to uncover, new details with every examination. The secrets of the place are abundant, and finding them was a true pleasure. It reminded me of the joy of artistic creation and provided a place of safety in a world that doesn’t always support the artist’s life. For a brief moment, I felt like a true artist. I only wish I had come sooner, so I could go back more often.–Cheryl Kutcher