Teamwork between ROMP, the Locust Grove Arts Alliance, and the LG schools is making a Big Read program possible in Locust Grove for April 2019. The community will be reading Joy Harjo‘s work How We Became Human, and the program will conclude with a celebration and performance by Harjo on April 26 & 27, 2019.
ROMP will be helping coordinate poetry activities during April 2019 in the community and at LG schools, and will also be conducting this poetry contest, which honors original poetry and the work of Harjo in her book: How We Became Human.
Big Read Poem Contest
WINNERS! READ THEIR POEMS IN THIS DOCUMENT.
1st, Davis Smith, Horses Run
2nd, Aspen Reed, Morning Song
3rd, TIE: Brody Atchley, He Had Some Horses
Ali Pierce, I Remember I Caught a Fish
1st, Alexis Copeland, Slipping
2nd, Rylie Wagner, I Remember
3rd, Kayla Cowan, Pool Day
1st, Roxann Yates, Deleted
2nd, Kelly Palmer, The Kitchen Table
3rd, Betty Perkins, Coming Home
AWARDS for each category
1st place: $100
2nd place: $75
3rd place: $50
- Only Locust Grove residents and LG students are eligible to enter.
- Poems will be judged in 4 categories:K-4th, 5th-8th, 9th-12th, and Adult
- Cash awards will be given in each category.
- Poems must be 10-24 lines long, no shorter and no longer.
- Poems can be rhymed or unrhymed.
- The poem must be clearly based on a specific poem from How We Became Human.
- A signed Entry Form must be filled out and turned in with the poem to be eligible.
ENTRY DEADLINE HAS PASSED.
Contest Evaluation Criteria:
Poems will be judged based on these criteria: imagery, creativity, language, and theme
Free books are available Mon.-Sat. at Wonder City Coffee.
NOTE: If you are unable to come and get a free copy of Harjo’s book from us, you can use one of her poems found online for inspiration. Here are some links:
NEA Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest.