Teamwork between ROMP, the Locust Grove Arts Alliance, and the LG schools is making a Big Read program possible in Locust Grove for April 2019. The community will be reading Joy Harjo‘s work How We Became Human, and the program will conclude with a celebration and performance by Harjo on April 26 & 27, 2019.
ROMP will be helping coordinate poetry activities during April 2019 in the community and at LG schools, and will also be conducting this poetry contest, which honors original poetry and the work of Harjo in her book: How We Became Human.
Big Read Poem Contest
To enter, write an original poem that is a companion piece to one of Harjo’s poems in her book How We Became Human. The poem can be a response to the poem, a second part to the poem, a poem in the same style, etc. The poem must be clearly inspired in some way by a specific poem in her book. Books are available by contacting ROMP director Shaun Perkins at ROMPoetry@gmail.com.
Guidelines: CASH PRIZES totaling $900 will be awarded
- All Locust Grove residents and LG students are eligible to enter.
- Poems will be judged in 4 categories:K-4th, 5th-8th, 9th-12th, and Adult
- Cash awards will be given in each category.
- Poems must be 10-24 lines long, no shorter and no longer.
- Poems can be rhymed or unrhymed.
- The poem must be clearly based on a specific poem from How We Became Human.
- A signed Entry Form must be filled out and turned in with the poem to be eligible.
Contest Evaluation Criteria:
Poems will be judged based on these criteria: imagery, creativity, language, and theme
To Submit: DEADLINE: APRIL 15, 2019
- Email or mail your poem by April 15, 2019.
- Fill out all information on the entry form, which can be located at ROMPoetry.com.
MAIL: Rural Oklahoma Museum of Poetry
6603 S 438 Rd. Locust Grove OK 74352
NEA Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest.