As Locust Grove celebrates its Founder’s Day on May 8, 2021, kids can drop by the museum and make a quick button gift for their moms for Mother’s Day.
May 8, Saturday
FREE Craft activity with all materials provided
Founder’s Day Croquet Poetry Tournament
Poetry Croquet Tournament: Cutthroat Singles Game
Object: To be the first one to successfully pass through all of the game wickets
- Six player-limit. If there are more than six people signed up, the contestants will be divided equally and will play in rounds.
- In addition to scoring each wicket, players must also pass the poetry challenge at each wicket in order to continue. Example, If the first wicket calls for RHYME, you must state a rhyme before going on to the next wicket. Successive players cannot use the same rhymes (or whatever the challenge answer is) previously used.*
- All ages can play though players must be old enough to use the mallet appropriately and to answer the poetry challenges.
- Trophies will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
Basic Croquet Information:
- Each player has a ball and mallet of the same color. Use the mallet to his the ball through each wicket.
- Order of play is as follows: Blue, Black, Green, Red, Yellow, and Orange.
- Players take turns hitting the ball one time. If they get through a wicket and answer the poetry challenge, they get a bonus turn.
- Players also get a bonus shot if they hit someone else’s ball during their turn.
- If someone drives another person’s ball off the course, it can be put back in near the edge of the course.
*Devices that may be included in the poetry challenges include the following: