In conjunction with the Locust Grove Arts Alliance hosting of the Smithsonian Water/Ways exhibit in late 2019, ROMP is sponsoring a poetry contest on the theme of water.
The Smithsonian’s Water/Ways exhibition dives into water–an essential component of life on our planet, environmentally, culturally, and historically.
In societies across the globe, water serves as a source of peace and contemplation. Many faiths revere water as a sacred symbol. Authors and artists are inspired by the complex character of water – a substance that is seemingly soft and graceful that is yet a powerful and nearly unstoppable force.
Water also plays a practical role in American society. The availability of water affected settlement and migration patterns. Access to water and control of water resources have long been a central part of political and economic planning.
Contest Guidelines: $750 in CASH PRIZES
- Anyone anywhere is eligible to enter.
- Poems will be judged in 5 categories:K-4th, 5th-8th, 9th-12th, Adult, and Professional.*
- Cash awards & medals will be given in each category. Winners will be asked to read their poems at the Opening Celebration event on Oct. 21, 2019.
- Poems must be 10-24 lines long, no shorter and no longer.
- Poems can be rhymed or unrhymed.
- Poems must somehow address the theme of water.
- A signed Entry Form must be filled out and turned in with the poem.
*Professional refers to any poet who has published a book of poetry.
Contest Evaluation Criteria:
Poems will be judged based on these criteria: imagery, creativity, language, and theme
To Submit: DEADLINE: September 15, 2019
- Email or mail your poem with this ENTRY FORM or submit by filling out the web form below by Sept. 15, 2019.
- Fill out all information on the entry form.
MAIL: Rural Oklahoma Museum of Poetry 6603 S 438 Rd. Locust Grove OK 74352
Water/Ways has been made possible in Locust Grove, Oklahoma, by Oklahoma Humanities.
Water/Ways is part of Museum on Main Street, a collaboration between the Smithsonian Institution and State Humanities Councils nationwide. Support for Museum on Main Street has been provided by the United States Congress.
Water/Ways was adapted from an exhibition organized by the American Museum of Natural History, New York (www.amnh.org), and the Science Museum of Minnesota, St. Paul (www.smm.org), in collaboration with Great Lakes Science Center, Cleveland; The Field Museum, Chicago; Instituto Sangari, Sao Paulo, Brazil; National Museum of Australia, Canberra; Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, Canada; San Diego Natural History Museum; and Science Centre Singapore with PUB Singapore.