In conjunction with the Locust Grove Arts Alliance hosting of the Smithsonian Water/Ways exhibit in late 2019, ROMP is sponsoring a poetry contest on the theme of water.
The Smithsonian’s Water/Ways exhibition dives into water–an essential component of life on our planet, environmentally, culturally, and historically.
In societies across the globe, water serves as a source of peace and contemplation. Many faiths revere water as a sacred symbol. Authors and artists are inspired by the complex character of water – a substance that is seemingly soft and graceful that is yet a powerful and nearly unstoppable force.
Water also plays a practical role in American society. The availability of water affected settlement and migration patterns. Access to water and control of water resources have long been a central part of political and economic planning.
Contest Guidelines: CASH PRIZES
- Anyone is eligible to enter.
- Poems will be judged in 5 categories:K-4th, 5th-8th, 9th-12th, Adult, and Professional.*
- Cash awards will be given in each category. Medals will be given for runners-up. Winners will be asked to read their poem at a celebration event, date TBA in October or November 2019.
- Poems must be 10-24 lines long, no shorter and no longer.
- Poems can be rhymed or unrhymed.
- Poems must somehow address the theme of water.
- A signed Entry Form must be filled out and turned in with the poem.
*Professional refers to any poet who has published a book of poetry.
Contest Evaluation Criteria:
Poems will be judged based on these criteria: imagery, creativity, language, and theme
To Submit: DEADLINE: September 15, 2019
- Email or mail your poem with this ENTRY FORMor submit by filling out the web form below by Sept. 15, 2019.
- Fill out all information on the entry form.
MAIL: Rural Oklahoma Museum of Poetry 6603 S 438 Rd. Locust Grove OK 74352